Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Reflection Upon the Patterns of Web Surfing

After reading through my classmates blogs, I have concluded that the internet activity of a person can really say a lot about who that person is, or at least what their interests are. Each person has sites that are unique to their interests and/or hobbies. Some people surf the web for news, sports, music, weather, and a multitude of other subjects. For instance on Chris Fargen's blog he posted a few sites that were strictly for comedy purposes. This says to me, Chris is a funny guy, or he at least has somewhat of an interest in comedy. This little tidbit of information gives me an insight to who Chris may be. I feel like that is part of the beauty in a blog. The ability to get to know a person through their blog is what really sets it apart from other forms of writing. Other blogs had more websites that were news related and show an interest in current events, such as politics or sports. Another example of getting to know people through their blogs were some of the local websites noted on the blogs. Local websites such as louisvillehotbytes.com, are less likely to be known by a person from somewhere other than Louisville. Therefore I assume (making an ass out of you and me, I know), that the people who had visited local websites are from Louisville. Just another little insight from the small amount of internet activity posted. For my blog I mentioned a skate website and a music blog which would let people know that I like to skateboard and listen to music. So I guess one of the main points that I noticed through this exercise was how our internet activities really demonstrate our unique interests.

Although our internet activity did show some unique interests, there were also some websites that were or were almost on every single persons blog. Websites such as Facebook, Ulink, MySpace, and other email sites show that although each individual has their own interests, we also have certain sites that tie us together in a way. Facebook is the best example of this. Since we all do use Facebook we have the ability to network with each other, hence tying us together.

To conclude I have found that our web surfing creates a window into the individual, but it also brings us together on websites like MySpace and Facebook. By creating the window into the person, the web allows the connection that can be made on those social networking sites much easier to obtain.

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment