Blogging, for me, presented its difficulties in the same form as all other writing forms do. That is organization. I can never take my thoughts and put them in a coherent sequence to convey my ideas well. So the blog to me wasn't much different than any other form of writing. The most exciting part was the expression involved. The wide breadth of the blog allows for the writer to not only convey facts, but to convey facts in a way that is creative and interesting. So rather than being forced to conform to one setup, I was able to vary my style and use literary devices that are often hard to use in a strictly academic paper.
For the most part my internet habits have not changed. I am simply more aware of them. I still visit Facebook regularly, I still check certain blogs, and all that good jazz. But now rather than mindlessly doing so, I consider the effects that this may have on my mind, in terms of reading, writing, and communicating in general. I almost feel like I am obliged to visit more educational websites to balance out the pointless surfing I partake in. This experience has also encouraged me to do less "surfing" and more "reading for a deeper meaning". I find myself reading whole articles rather than checking headlines. I tend to view a whole video, rather than the highlights. I never did this before. I was very much a "jet skier" on the "waters" of the web. So I'm happy to say that has changed.
I feel like this was a very eye opening experience in terms of my view of a blog, and in terms of my view of the internet in general.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nice reflection, Keegan. I liked your point about internet habits not changing so much, that you are just more aware of them now. That sounds about right. I've had that same feeling. I can also appreciate that you're trying to go a little deeper in your reading. To use Carr's metaphor, we can be both jet skiers and scuba divers.
ReplyDelete